Monday, August 10, 2009

30 to 30: Day 2, "Patience Day"

Friends, this could easily be named, "the Anti-Kelley Day".

The very amount of energy I have expended so far reminding myself to be patient is indicative of its lack of presence in my life.

Y'all- I'm not a patient creature. Has it always been this way? I must have been patient at some age..?

When the heck did I get in such a freaking rush?

I always speed at least a few miles per hour, I always find the quickest way to do something (and call it efficient of course!) , and I simply do not take kindly to wasting time. I do some things OK in this life, but NOT this. :)

I believe the biggest epiphany regarding "patience" (which to me really translates to slowing down and being just a smidge accommodating, for pete's sake) is that I do not afford *myself* any slack.

TOTAL SIDENOTE: a few months ago, I used the phrase, "for Pete's sake" to my co-worker Dean- a native Aussie. We went back and forth about "Pete" for about 5 minutes before he finally said, "so, seriously... who's pete?" Its the closest I've come to experiencing something being lost in translation. hehe.

Back to my epiphany. So, It is not others that stand around tapping their Target shoes at me. It is ME! I get that knot in my stomach if I'm late (something I loathe but experience far too often) and proceed to take it out on my car, passengers or general demeanor. Its for the birds, kids. My day long mantra of "calm down... its patience day" may need to extend into the next 30 years instead of days. Everyone on I-440 will benefit.

More later... after the pool party.

UPDATE:
The pool party was WONDERFUL and I'm extra grateful I had the reminder to slow down and be patient... especially when I happily went the speed limit past the hiding officer. My buddy for the night was a precious girl named Grace. We played a lot in the pool and I'm quite sore to tell you the truth. (It was a summer ending pool party for Capernaum- the special needs division of Young Life). What amazing people!! I thoroughly enjoyed myself... patiently. :)

3 comments:

SardineInk said...

I always have to sing the little song from my 5th grade Psalty the Singing Songbook performance (at least I think it was Psalty).

***insert clearing throat here***

"Have patience, have patience, don't be in such a hurry. When you get impatient you only start to worry. Remember, remember that God is patient too and think of all the times when others have to wait on you!"

Thank you, thank you...(I'm taking a bow!)

It is amazing (and sad) how often it pops into my head!

Love you!!!

Kelley said...

That's amazing!! We grew up singing that little ditty too! My parents will sing when they read this! :)

love you too!!!
k

Unknown said...

I think "for pete's sake" is a reference to St. Peter . . .