Sunday, August 9, 2009

30 to 30: Day 1, "The State of the Kelley"

Today is the day! Only 30 days until I hit the big 3-0! Something I was dreading has become something I am quite thrilled about!

That "thing" is the start of the next 30 years of my life!

For the next 30 days, I will be trying something new each day. My goal for this endeavor is to stretch myself mentally, physically and spiritually in the hopes of (a) starting 30 with a bang! and (b) see what wonderful things I learn and perspective I can gain in a short time. Its all about perspective, isn't it?

You will have to check in each day as the adventures will vary pretty dramatically. :)

Today's challenge is a simple one- an assessment of sorts- a basis for the coming month. Where have I been and where am I going? The state of the... Kelley.

I work best in a stream of consciousness, so here we go:

- My closest friend on planet earth is my sister Kristin. It makes me sad for the rest of you... that she's not your sister. Its really so wonderful to have such a kindred spirit in this life.
- At some point about ten years ago Mom and Dad went from only parents to parents and friends. I rather enjoy their company so much that I feel sure we'd be friends regardless of if I'd been born to them or not. Cam and Carol are a riot, y'all. I look forward to what's in store.
- I thrive on humor. Life can be quite serious and I find that if I can laugh and make others laugh, it just makes it better.
- I am a natural extrovert in some ways and an introvert in others. Maybe I'm just finicky about my alone time, really. Sometimes I want it and sometimes I don't. In general, I enjoy people very very much.
- Being physically fit becomes more and more important to me every day.
- I'm grateful for community. My dear friends, my amazing church and my actual family have made a very nice cocoon of love for me to exist within. Its the first time my friend world has overlapped with my church family world. It is a huge honor to be a part of City Church and learn as much as I have there over the last 3 years. The Lord has been good to me!
- Home (Laudy) is both a ton of fun as well as a place of peace and I am quite happy!
- I'm a bashful conversationalist when it comes to politics. Maybe that's because I enjoy conversation more than I tolerate an argument.
- I haven't mastered breaking out of my "people pleasing" addiction. Will this ever change?
- Sometimes I think everything in my life would be perfect if I had a companion to enjoy it with.
- Sometimes I think everything in my life would be perfect if I never had a companion to enjoy it with.
- I'm tempted to think financial security makes it possible to relax.
- I wouldn't mind getting married, but I don't want a wedding. So sue me...
- The older I get, the more friends feel like family. I hope my friends will always be one of my top priorities.
- I feel like age has more to do with the stage of life than the number insinuates. At this rate, I may be "in my twenties" for the foreseeable future.
- My biggest fears include submarines and terrible storms.
- I could be a bit more confident...who couldn't?
- It doesn't take much to make me happy.
- I am excited for and nervous about this project. :)

I'm sure I'll think of things later that I'll wish I had added to this list, but there it is. Tomorrow is patience day. Here goes nothin'.

4 comments:

Becca said...

I just love you.

hootenannie said...

I am obsessed with you, and am thrilled with the State of the Kelley, and I hope that your friends will always be one of your top priorities, too. :)

LOVE YOU!

Unknown said...

I also, am so excited about your little project. you are, my dear, an inspiration.

GJ said...

And my biggest fears are sharks and space, even though that it how we first bonded. I HEART YOU and please know that you are one of the brightest spots in my life. Can't wait for you to be 30 and it blows dumb 20 AWAY.