Monday, August 24, 2009

30 to 30: Day 15, "Devotion"

There may not exist a larger disparity between the events of Saturday and Sunday, my beloved blog community.

On Saturday, I tried to muster the necessary nerve to approach a man outta no where. Sunday, I spend the day in the presence of men who have made vows of lifetime solitude and contemplation.

I took it to Kentucky for the day, y'all.

Gethsemane, to be exact.

In the middle of no where, on a hill, exists what is, to most, a complete intrigue... a monastery! It is full of monks in robes. They are lovely. Such beautiful singing voices, beautiful devotion and warm faces. I only saw one man speak the whole day. There were signs everywhere reminding the visitors that it is a monastic area and that there must be no speaking.

It was a welcome change of pace. A welcome day of (mostly) silence. Hey, a girl has to talk to her sister, OK? A lot of deep relaxation concentrated into only 8 or 9 hours.

I think, as I headed northeast, I anticipated something mystical to take place. Really, it was a total lack of mysticism. It was deeply peaceful there. It was also a time of assessment for me. Sure, I enjoyed participating in a few services (vespers was my favorite- beautiful. I think incense gives me a headache, by the by), but it was more about forcing myself out of the normal routine to get a little quality time to think, pray and relax.

I journaled. It is an art I have long since abandoned in favor of the blog-ular alternative. I read. I sat and warmed myself in the sun. Basked, really. (Sidenote: It was actually *chilly* yesterday! IN AUGUST!) I read some more. I quietly prayed and waited. I just plain soaked up the luxury of joining in to a community of the devoted. It was lovely.

(Here's where I spent my time reading)

(Here's my view- what a wall!)
(side view of the retreat area/church)
(straight back is the church. The sign in bottom left says not to talk)
(A happy, tired Kelley)
(a Kentucky crescent moon I followed home)

BUT.

The silence is for the birds. I have been social since conception. Ask Kristin. I probably talked her ear off in utero. Lets be real... the silent life will never be for me. It made me really sleepy.

OH- on the way home, I saw a bear in a horse trailer.

2 comments:

Beloved said...

what a priceless day.

Dr. Ambo said...

I love love love your experimental 30 days! Hope the big 30 is a blast, too.