Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A... is for April Fools and Anticipation!



Good morning, friends!

Today is the big day of the month long blog challenge! Each day I shall post a tidbit of life in my world...and we begin. I'm a little nervous, to tell you the truth- all of this disclosure!

April Fools:
My most successful execution of an April Fools joke took place in spring of 2001! I still giggle when I think about it! I was headed back to SC from a spring break trip to see family in Florida. As I drove the 8 hours on I-95, I had time to plot. :) I decided my unsuspecting twin would be the perfect target. A fact she still loathes. Before heading west to Columbia, I detoured the 30 miles east to see mom and dad in Charleston on that pretty Sunday afternoon. After we caught up a bit, I presented my plan - ever so calculated. I would need both mom and dad to participate. We were going to convince Kristin that mom was pregnant... at 50. (Sorry, mom. the story needs it, okay?) Mom and dad have a history of "the speaker phone call". You know, the call where you hear every other word and one or more people are yelling? That one. So, on Sundays, we catch up via speaker phone. I knew this would be the perfect vehicle for convincing Kris. I also knew I would need to make a very strategic call shortly before in order for her to believe it. I call and piqued her interest by telling her mom and dad were about to call and blow her mind- then hung up before she could say anything. Moments later, mom and dad call and shoot the breeze. Then, they break the news.... perfectly! Kristin didn't breathe. We wait the painful 10 seconds then yell, "APRIL FOOLS". Kristin whispered some expletive and slammed the phone down. My favorite part of this story is how hard Kris has tried to get me back over the years. She has promised me that, one day, I'll be chasing kids, covered in food and miserably tired... not knowing what day it is. THEN she will get me back. :)

Anticipation:
There is just something about Spring! I find myself waking up a little too gingerly; with excitement for excitement sake. I tend to be a tad on the hyper side any way, so this will not come as a shock to most of you. Is it the tiny buds on trees? The flowers making their way out of the ground? The bunny, that we dubbed Pedro, that (I tell myself) returns every spring to bid us hello? Is it the arrival of "the news" at my house later (aka Us Weekly)? I couldn't tell you. It is some sort of magic that occurs at this time, exclusively, each year.

Before big events, I have trouble sleeping. I find myself waking up on the hour. No seriously- 1:08, 2:08, 3:08 etc. Its almost entertaining. THAT is how I feel about a lot of things in my life right now. Hopeful expectation!

I am headed to Charleston this weekend with some friends from Nashville. We're headed down for the Cooper River Bridge Run. I neglected to actually train, so I'm walking it! It will be wonderful to be at the beach, my stomping grounds and in the dirty south. I also sent off my taxes and am going to get a REFUND! It may be small, but y'all- this is a miracle.

I've just barely met my "post before 11am daily" goal! Let's hear it for discipline! Time for coffee.

2 comments:

Becca said...

i'm so excited. seriously i'm so excited... i stalk your blog. regularly. and i love seeing a new one :) this will be my favorite ritual this month: waking up with the guaruntee that i can sit down with a cup of coffee in the morning and read a new post on orderly-conduct :)

wanna just come here this saturday and run a 5K with me? cause i am...

carrie dirks said...

I love that you pranked your sister so wonderfully! Also, I'll see you this weekend at the Bridge run. My first time...I'm a little nervous. And I think this may be my first comment on your blog..but I do love to read your clever banter.