Wednesday, April 22, 2009

V is for Veteran

You all need to know about my exceptional grandfather. SO exceptional, in fact, that we call him Big Daddy! I grew up thinking everyone had a Big Daddy, by the way. Made sense to me- he was bigger than my daddy... seemed pretty concrete.

So, Big Daddy is just an amazing man! He's married to the lovely Judy who is also exceptionally wonderful and thoughtful! Together, they are quite a team of amazingness. Never have two little girls been loved more by two grandparents. I have always known they love me and are proud- that's a gift, to be sure!

You need a little background on this amazing man. Besides being a total stunner in uniform, he was also a fighter pilot for the air force! Crazy! He rocked some Germans (sorry, German friends... its History, ok?) in World War II and was even part of the Mighty Eighth Air Force! He's a hero for the way he served the Country, raised my (freaking fabulous) mom and just generally keeps-on-keepin'-on! He is passionate about golf, people. He doesn't get to play much because he has had lots of health issues this year. Y'all- he's a trooper!

He's a pilot, a family man, a scholar, an athlete, a comedian, a brilliant story teller, a manly man, a whiz at the grill, a gardener, a husband, father and the best grandfather a girl could ask for! I'm just welling up with pride that get to be his granddaughter!

I just wish you could all come with me to Haines City, FL just to experience the wonder that is my sweet Big Daddy- that and his OUT OF THIS WORLD fresh orange juice. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. :)

ROAD TRIP!

2 comments:

Becca said...

You know I have a soft spot for Air Force pilots... I wanna meet him :)

Stephanie said...

WOW, you've got me wanting a Big Daddy!!!