Thursday, April 9, 2009

I... is for Idol


So, last year, I was SO involved. I'm talking... invested, folks. I wouldn't miss a blessed evening that hosted American Idol. I read blogs about it, downloaded soft rock hits David Archuletta belted out and contributed to casual conversations with strangers. I was a FAN. All of a sudden... I've dropped off. I find myself not caring this year. Do I only have love for A.I. on off years? Maybe it is that I don't have time for two TV obsessions...? (Oh, who am I kidding? I watch more than.. well, too much TV. There... pressure's off).

That is... until last night!

Leave it to Coco to bring me back to the good ole days! Sometimes it takes splitting a bag of "hint of lime" Tostitos with a lion's share of Fat Tire to remind a person of the finer things. We watched. We laughed. We (ok, just Coco) teared up.

But- y'all.... for real? A blind guy?

That just brings it to a whole new level. What happened to the days when I could openly mock a ridiculous lack of dance ability, a thirsty 'fro or an off-key note? All bets are off when we're dealing with the disabled. I feel guilty just thinking of how hard I laughed. I take it back, OK?

So it comes to the end and they kick him off. Then (the whole new "thing" this year... the rescue or whatev) they dangle the carrot of rescue before his visionless eyes and then... snatch it right back! Sure, he didn't deserve to stay... but didn't it feel a little wrong? Just a little? Lord love him, Scott is a trooper. We'll see him again, no doubt. Rocking a sub-par record deal.

Bottom line- I'm in. I was late to show up to the party, but I'm in. Once again, I have Coco to thank. If she lures me in to Twitter, I'm really a goner. (why does that spelling look wrong?)

10 comments:

Emily said...

i would pay 3 dollars a month to read kelley kirkers twitters. and i say 3 dollars so you know how serious i am.

Deborah Barnett said...

I have so many comments here.

1) When did Twitters start costing $3 a month? Mine are still free.

2) He's blind, not deaf. Blindness shouldn't affect singing... ask my friend Ginny Owens.

3) Now, Heather Whitestone was deaf and danced ballet. Beautifully. And she couldn't hear the music! Now that's noteworthy (no pun intended)...

4) Love me some "hint of lime" Tostitos with a lion's share of Fat Tire. Finer things, indeed.

Kelley said...

Haha! Thanks, Emmy!

Deb, I think Emily just means *that* is how serious she is. :) no real fees.

I think his blindness affected his performance b/c it made everyone pity him a little. His voice was ok but EVERYTHING else about him became a distraction. ya know?

GJ said...

You. Must. Twitter.

Cameron said...

if you twitter, we will all look back in the years ahead and realize that e-mail, texting, skype and facebook were the gateway addictions which opened the door to your cyber descent into hardcore oblivion (and increasing inability to relate to actual human beings in your proximity, or continue hygiene). okay, that's redic, but consider this one of your last lifelines before getting hooked . . . (i fear that which i do not know)

Kelley said...

"she comes from a long line of exaggerators...."

name that movie, pops. hint: OUR movie!

Cameron said...

oh, btw, Scott will proceed from the Idol Summer tour directly to some pavilion or music venue at Disney, or maybe some cruise line.

Cameron said...

F. O. T. B. duh

Kelley said...

I LOVE MY FATHER!!!

michelle said...

kel! i just wanted to say hi and let you know that i just opened a page on here today...i found you through a few different people, but so glad i did!!! hope all is great and sorry i missed you this weekend :(