Monday, March 8, 2010

Reader Appreciation- Long Distance Edition

You need to know Stephen DeLoach, friends.

He's outstanding- and the next READER being appreciated!

Besides being a Tennessee boy, he's an adventurer who has found his way to Cambodia teaching English. Whoa.

Stephen and I met one night a few years ago. In my living room. I'm pretty sure I scared him... or scarred him- probably both, really. (It involved a read-aloud of the "Facts of Life" pop-up book with which Carol taught me about the birds and the bees...whatev.)

Nevertheless, Stephen is one of those rare breeds of intellectual and social. He's way too smart about literature, writing, life and all things Tolkien... but he'll also be the first to cut a serious rug on a dance floor. He's one hilarious dude!

So, when he told me he was hopping a flight (for a ridiculous amount of hours) to spend time in Cambodia, I was obviously curious and excited for him! His goal was to go spend time in their culture and impart (what is) life changing knowledge- conversational English. It is hot. It is inconvenient. It is unfamiliar. But he is there...pouring himself into a once in a lifetime experience for the sake of these precious people.

Last week, Chelsea and I got to skype with Stephen and two amazing girls. The one on the right is Srey Lin and the one on the left is Srey Mom- Stephen is obviously in the middle.. duh. These girls are outstanding and have extremely good comprehension of English. They knew what we were saying the whole time. I may or may not have done a hooping demonstration. I seem to remember they are also digging, "Imma Be" by the Black Eyed Peas, so I know we'd be friends.

Bottom line: I wish you all knew Stephen because your life would improve exponentially. Here's to Cambodia, adventures and pizza with peanuts on it.

No comments: