Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Carol: the Singing Volunteer Edition

mama: I told myself I was going to stop giving you blog-worthy stories, but I just had to tell you what just happened.
me: oh my gosh...
mama: so, I was called in to volunteer this morning (at this amazing place my grandma used to go to have a blast and be treated with dignity while being cared for...and give my parents a little break) and I got assigned the group on the porch that was playing a game. So, the game was called "musical plates", so I thought they would take turns passing a plate when the music was playing.
me: sure.
mama: no. instead, they were each holding a stuffed animal that they would throw on top of a plate on the ground that had a song written on it. That is what would decide which song i sang next!!!!!
me: mother.
mama: so, honestly, there I am leading these adorable old ladies and men in songs that I totally forgot the words to!
me:   ::uncontrollable laughter::
mama: then, there were some ladies who never sang at all. They just groomed and hugged their stuffed animals. But there were some folks who wouldn't say a word but they would sing their hearts out to "Amazing Grace" and "Let Me Call You Sweetheart". So precious.
me: awwww!
mama: So, the riot of it was that the assistant I was supposed to have never showed up, so it was up to me to sing my heart out in front of all of them.
me: This is too good.
mama: I couldn't remember the real words to "On Top of Old Smokey" and all I could remember was "On top of old smokey... all covered with cheese.... I lost my poor meatball... when somebody sneezed"
me:  ::weezing with laughter at my desk at work::


I love my mother and her little volunteering heart.

Sidenote: evidentally, the ladies all asked about dad and when he was coming back. Naturally. :)

No comments: