Sunday, February 7, 2010

pain or progress?

Well, you may notice that yesterday was a complete compilation of randomness. In addition to the excitements briefly mentioned, I squeezed in a quick visit to the Country Music Hall of Fame as well as an engagement party (for Lex and Jason) and a belated Groundhog's Day party at Kelly's! May it be known, Kelly was my partner in crime for the mall awesomeness yesterday... THAT is a friend. :)

So, it occurs to me that I neglected to give you the details on the public massage. Let me paint a picture. There were something like 15 ergonomic chair/stool things that allow you to face the floor while not lying down. Ya know... cuz that would be weird. In a mall. In front of "Things Remembered" or "Pac Sun" or something.

Right. There we are, at *just* after 10am, hopping over to be the first clients of these all-too-kind Chinese men. DO NOT be fooled. My guy seemed nice enough. He looked like he'd sooner paint model ships than hurt anything.. but I was wrong, friends. Homeboy had the force of Jackie Chan in his finger tips. It was as if I'd stolen something from him. He rocked my shoulders, back and... I'll say it.... butt.

Time out. You should know my usual beef with massage therapists is simply that they don't put their back in to it. I'm no delicate flower. I'm generally getting a massage because months of tension have built up in my shoulders and they are challenging my life. So, when Rita Rub-down lightly touches my shoulders, I get annoyed. This was NOT the case this time.

May I call him Jackie?

Jackie started nicely enough. He used his whole forearm to rub my upper back. Awesome. Got after my shoulders to severely that I started to hear a grinding noise. I usually don't hear my muscles making noises, but still... felt so awesome, I didn't mind. Until Jackie started attacking my back by region. Unrelenting. I had no words. There was no stopping him. Kelly referred to it as white pain... you tell yourself its worth it, so you power through.

It was only 20 minutes worth of mind melting pain but I will have bruises to show for it.

And then I will go back.

THIS girl has never been SO loose in the shoulder/neck region. My muscles tried to fight it but, soon realized it was easier to play dead. And dead they feel... still.

Subject jump: since we're the kind of friends that tell each other things, I feel it necessary to confess something else to you. YES. I saw "Dear John" today with Chelsea. YES. We cried. YES. I liked it... there was so much Charleston... how could I not?! I had two favorite moments that had nothing to do with the movie. First was when Chelsea shooshed me for sneezing. But, my favorite moment was at one of the most intense moments in which every deep emotion is being catered-to. The overwhelming feeling is that you are supposed to feel desperately sad for this dude. Well, I became fixated on the fact that the paper was not burning in the fire. WHY would paper not burn? Hollywood, you can't just rewrite all the rules. Anyhow, just then, Chelsea whispers, "maybe the paper is Jacob*" and there was NO holding it together. I started laughing so uncontrollably that I feel sure I ruined the movie for the couple sobbing in the row above us.

Worth it.

*For anyone without awesome TV watching taste, Jacob is a LOST reference to a central character who is epic, elusive and mysterious... and jumps bodies and what not*

2 comments:

speakin.my.language said...

How existential.

speakin.my.language said...

Oh and by the way the test word to post that comment was belecw and this one is feake. I just thought that no one ever really talks about these test words. I don't understand them.