Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Misunderstanding is in the Eyes of the Neighbor

There are a handful of people in my life for whom I would, without hesitation, take a bullet. Two of those people are Kristin and Chad. So, their battles are my battles.

Kris and Chad bought their first home on this lovely little street in Columbia about 8 months ago. They have poured their hearts in to this great home and it shows! They both love to entertain, so having folks in to their home is the standard. Additionally, there was a season where Blake, Chad's brother lived with them.

Why the history lesson?

Well, last night I got a phone call from a perturbed twin who had, just moments earlier, learned (from a different gossipy neighbor than the author of the original lie) that it is common neighborhood belief that they are drug dealers! MY LITTLE TWIN AND BRUDDER IN LAW!

For starters.... seriously?! I could hear Chad laughing in the background which made me hear the words for how funny they really are. What a ludicrous accusation. What a sad misunderstanding. What a drag. Folks who have never made an effort to know them have deduced (from an ever lit porch light and the presence of Blake's truck) that something illegal is amiss.

But, really, I do this sort of thing all the time. I jump to conclusions with the best of 'em. In fact, upon arrival back home on Sunday, the loudest bang flooded over our home. I was certain it had come from next door. In a millisecond, I decided it was not only a gunshot but that my neighbor was in his car having just been shot. Shaking, I couldn't find my phone. We decide to go look outside instead of call the cops... only to find it was an exploded transformer. More than meets the eye, indeed. (I'm sorry. I had to.)

So, while I was completely annoyed last night, at the thought of K&C being slandered (dramatic but true) in their 'hood, I had to remember... I am just as guilty of silly gossip. Words are so powerful. I probably have a moment at least every day where I wish, "If I had only kept my mouth shut" and that will be a life-long struggle. But I will struggle with it. I'm not giving in.

There's no such thing as changing people's minds, really. Kris and Chad will likely not have a great relationship with their neighbors, but its possible to have one. My hope is that they make an effort to reach out to the ones who have jumped to such conclusions and mirror grace to them.

...and maybe bring them some brownies just to keep them guessing.

1 comment:

Kelley said...

i love you to the moon.