Thursday, May 28, 2009

Unpack it a Bit

WHAT a relief!

I am marveling in the mercy of the Lord. I have no tumor. No MS... and likely never will!

For starters, Dr. Nancy Newman is an exceptional neuro-ophthalmologist. She teaches at Emory and it is so obvious that she's an educator. She was patient and extremely thorough. I'm so grateful for my parents and sister who came to the appointment with me and were able to make note of all the explanations she gave! I'm such a lucky girl- I have the very best family!!

Basically, my right optic nerve is inflamed and is already on the mend! My brain scans (done in January) were a great reference and tell her that my nerve has already begun healing. Usually, Optic Neuritis is a painful experience, but not for me. How nice! Dr. Newman gave me some percentages of the risks of MS down the road and they are very favorable for me. In fact, she said of the nearly 450 people they followed for 15 years, not ONE single patient (with clear brain scans like mine) developed multiple sclerosis. Those are odds I can get used to. :)

Some blood work and chest x-rays were done and will rule out any remaining concern. I cannot say enough about how impressed I am with Emory! They are such a class act. Shoot- I didn't even wait more than ten minutes anywhere! Lets face it- I'm probably going to make a t-shirt in support...maybe send them a valentine next year.

I'm working here in ATL while nestled on the couch at the home of (the most wonderful) Katherine and Dean's. It is so cozy and I'm loving the snore of Lucy- the adorable pup. Katherine, in case I forget to mention this- your guest bed is the most comfortable thing I have *ever* slept on. No exaggeration. THANK you!

Thanks for the prayers, friends. I'm so grateful!

5 comments:

Beloved said...

You're welcome!! :) Thrilled with you and grateful to God!! Your life is precious and beautiful to many, beginning with me! Enjoy your day.
Katherine

GJ said...

Could not be happier with this news......LOVE you.

Unknown said...

oh so happy!! so very happy!

Unknown said...

all aboard the healing train. whoo whoooooo!

Rebecca M. said...

Yay! Praise God from whom all blessing flow! Love you Kel!