Monday, May 4, 2009

"Hello Muddah.... Hello Fadduh...."

WHAT a weekend just passed.

You may think I'm referring to the "Cinco de Mayo" themed (turned indoor) Relay for Life I participated in for most of Friday night. That was fun, but nope.

You may think I'm referring to Chancey's bachelorette weekend where we celebrated and loved on my sweet roommate. YES, that was amazing but still not what I'm referring to.

Raise your hand if your father (and godfather) flew to Hong Kong last week only to return to a roped off hotel one evening. Turns out, the first confirmed case of Swine Flu was in their hotel (the Metropark hotel you've seen splashed on news world-wide). After being told they must abandon their belongings and not return to the hotel, they were forced to stay at another hotel under assumed names. Sound like a movie yet? Yeah... to me too.

So, fast forward to their attempt to blow that popsicle stand and go to Shanghai and Beijing (reason for the trip) once they have their belongings (including important meds.) Enter Chinese customs who say, "not so fast." They are whisked away to a camp-of-sorts outside of Hong Kong where they could be properly contained. Based on the SARS lunacy, it makes sense, I must admit. All I know is that, until I heard my father's voice and laugh, I was beyond uneasy. Now... its kind of funny, I suppose. Sure, they're not doing ANYTHING they intended to do, but that means they're doing some really unexpected things. Here is a link to the Wall Street Journal blog they're contributing to while held.

So, i suppose the fact remains that obviously their plans were not nearly as important as what God had intended for their trip. It looks as though they'll be in Hong Kong for the rest of the week unless some dramatic changes happen. They're safe and making due, so I'm just ready to have them back! Not scared like before. PLEASE keep my mom in your prayers- she is obviously eager to have dad back in the good ole USA safe and sound.

Thank goodness for technology and being able to hear that voice on the other side of the world!

2 comments:

Emily said...

i LOVE your dad. if he ever wants to come visit me i promise not to put him in a medical detainment camp. also, how cool is it that he's posting on a wall street journal blog?!

candace said...

your dad is even cooler than i thought before. and now published on the WSJ for being a part of quite possibly one of the biggest news stories this year... amazing and hilarious the circumstances!!!