Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Edify

So, my experience is that only in Cristendom do we use the word "edify". Why is that? We can all benefit from one's edifying influence. Is it just the coffee or do I feel a meaty post coming on? :)

Yesterday I had the pleasure of having lunch with a friend of mine named Renee. Y'all just need to know that she's completely amazing. Wise? Check. Hilarious? CHECK. "With it"..... check!

All that to say, it was a distinct joy to sit across the table from someone asking me loving and specific questions for the sake of edifying me. Questions that communicated to me that she wants to really know me and that she understands "where I am" as a 29 year old woman. She has a lifetime of advice to offer but chose to sit and listen instead. I just can't tell you what that means to me. What love language is that, anyway? So, sweet Renee pointed out something lovely to me and I'd like to share it.

She said that it is imperative to live here. now. Not longing so deeply for what is next that I wish away the delights of today. I feel encouraged by the fact that I can honestly say I DO! How wonderful! I am seizing the day, friends! Sure, I can always do more to do that, but I feel like I'm in a good place. Boot camp, fun friends, church family, loving nuclear family, job delights and nearing financial freedom! After seeing that written out, I have to bemoan the fact that I still imagine how perfect my life could be "if I only were..." or "if I only had...". Why do I do that?

On a different note, I had a realization while sitting at lunch. I have spent most of my twenties distracting myself.

Wake up, turn on tv (lately, the "Fresh Prince of Bel Air"), get ready for the day, hop in the car, listen to music, get to work, listen to podcasts or Pandora, talk with people thru lunch, work some more, drive home while talking on the phone, go home and eat dinner while talking with roomies, watch tv, go to bed with the TV on "sleep". Wake up and do it again. That's sad. No wonder I hardly read.

I would like a goal of my thirties to be one of some silence and lots less distraction. It doesn't help that my nature is one of spastic diversions. I will have to fight it to some degree. ahhhhh.... I love goals.

So, yes. Lunch was great. I enjoy moments of introspection... over a Lucayan Salad at Calypso Cafe, no less. ;)

peace out, friends.

2 comments:

Deborah Barnett said...

recognize!

Unknown said...

"listening" by anne long. start your reading off right.