Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Count Off!

Some say I'm an onion.

Layers and layers.

Ok, it is mostly my co-workers. and roommates. FINE. I get it- I have packed a lot of hobbies and experiences into my 30 years and it takes some time to unfold all the stories, people!

Let me paint you a picture.

I was 15 (and 3/4) and decided to take the adventure of a lifetime. Fortunately, Mom and Dad agreed to let me live on a mountain in Honduras for 2 months of my high school summer. Let me back up. My dear friend Julia had spent the summer before in Australia with Teen Missions International and it more than intrigued me... it motivated me! Before I knew it, it was Honduras or BUST.

A few months, a training boot camp in Florida (not kidding) and LOTS of bug bites later, 30 or so of my newest friends and I were en route on TACA Airlines. Did I mention that, in order to herd 30 + highschoolers, we were forced to "count off" when we needed to account for everyone? Yes. We did that. We were the first team to inhabit that lovely mountain in San Isidro outside of San Pedro Sula. You say you want to see pictures? Oh, OK.

(Team Pic right before we left Florida for Honduras)

(our lovely surroundings)

(I'm in red and rachel is to my right)

and.. because you've been good... a picture of my perma-triangle hair: (I'm not proud)

Fifteen years later, I remember everything vividly. I became proficient at outdoor restroom use, befriended dive-bombing bats that kept me bug-bite free and even became one heck of a whiz with a shovel. After two long months of working the hardest of my life, we were responsible for what would become the entire septic system for the (then) upcoming Honduran Teen Missions Training Center (or whatever the actual name is.)

But if that's all you learn about my trip- you'd be cheated.

Y'all. I changed COMPLETELY on that trip! There wasn't one bit of me left the same. I left a weak little 15 year old whose biggest concern was if "Dr. Quinn: Medicine Woman" was going to be a new episode. I left sure of myself, my faith in Jesus and pretty certain I didn't want my life to be "normal." I was also quite certain I didn't want to live any place the Hondurans condemned ever. again.

I was launched into a community of folks that will probably never all be together again. In fact, that occurred to me one day and I remember making a huge effort to soak in the moment. Who knows, though... we may if Facebook has anything to say about it. We were a motley crew. None of us really knew what we were doing- but we braved (what will always be one of the benchmarks of my life) like champs! We, of course, bonded and I am thrilled to say I still keep up with the two most significant friends I made on our adventure!

Rachel and Josh.

Josh lives in Chicago and visiting him in August was the highlight of my summer! Rachel lives in the UK with her hubs. Here's the awesome part- she's in the states visiting her family for the holidays!! EVEN cooler? Her folks live in Mt. Juliet, TN- that is a grand total of roughly 20 miles from me! I get to see her for the first time in 13 years on FRIDAY! We used to write letters faithfully (our friendship pre-dated email, kiddos) and I still remember her childhood street address in Mentor, OH.

Long story, short. I will forever be grateful for that insane summer- complete with the lunacy and importance it brought 15-year-old me. It made me, in a small way, into... me.

Also- there is nothing like an old friend... especially when that friend also dodged a black panther with you in the tropics.

(kissing the ground in Miami upon return to the USA)

By the way... I was number 22.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

double deuce!

charlotte said...

my, my, you haven't changed a BIT.... if you could
only see my "body wave" i had in sixth grade!

Mark and Rachel said...

Wow. I feel honored and I haven't even seen you yet!!! Counting the days! I echo your sentiments, though you probably said them better than I ever could. SEE YOU SOON!!

P.S. Pretty sure I can still remember your address as well (at least most of it) - and in case the folks on here didn't know, you were one written MACHINE! I still remember the first letter you wrote to all of us before we even all met. I knew you were a treasure then!

Mark and Rachel said...

ooops...that's supposed to be "one WRITING MACHINE"