Tuesday, February 12, 2008

playing it cool

this may come as a huge shock to you but i do NOT have a game face. ya know... that face most people can put on to fake normal- cool.

i am the opposite.

If something/someone impresses me, they can usually tell by the weird red spots that start to creep up my neck and ultimately fill my face with crimson red OR by the uncontrollable giggle that starts, without permission, to trickle out of my mouth like 7-up when combined with saltines.

Nashville prides ourselves on being cool- "we" just can't be bothered by the famous people others freak out about. we eat dinner next to the famous singer... whatev. we bump into the cool writer at the harris teeter... so? I do NOT fit in to this category of cool. i tend to instantly freeze and try desperately to get the attention of whoever is with me so that i don't have an anurism alone.

when i saw nichole kidman and keith urban at Frothy Monkey, i froze mid-order. the poor girl had to try and shake me like shelby in "Steel magnolias" to get my attention. i caught a glance of them in the mirror behind the counter and it was all over. they couldn't have gone LESS noticed. everyone else played it cool. i ...nearly wet my pants.

i admit all this to you because you and i are "at that level" AND because tomorrow billy currington is coming over to write with emerson. i mean- most of you don't know or care who that dude is. sure- he cut his teeth dueting with shania twain. sure, he's got curly hair like j.t. circa 02. i JUST can't help myself.

i must wake up in the morning. put on my "i'm just this cool" combo of clothing so that i look effortlessly fierce but not overdressed for a day with a 4 month old. all the while, i must appear nearly UNaware of the fact he's ever performed a day in his life. will i ever be cool or at least learn to fake it??

maybe i'll start out with, "so billy... what do you do?"

4 comments:

Beloved said...

Who is Billy Currington? No really, I don't know him.

But the Frothy Monkey run-in was something you forgot to mention to me - i would have had an anurism with you!!

Buckingham Palace said...

YOU SAW NICOLE AND KEITH?!?! did you take a picture with your camera phone? I totally would have.. while playing cool of course. Was she stupid skinny prego?

Kelley said...

i prob should have clarified that i saw Nic and keith about two years ago. but i am SURE she's crazy thin even pregs...

billy is google-able. he's this shorter version than dierks bentley, basically. he's extremely nice and we're basically best friends now. (or he said hi from the door and that was that.)

;)

Emilie said...

ahh - the joys of living in Nashville and pretending not to be star-struck! I hope your whole fam recovered from Kirker Wedding Fest. Charleston is still recovering from the Kirkers. ;-)