Monday, September 27, 2010

New leaf.

Today is the first day to feel like Autumn. It leaves me feeling equal parts invigorated and hesitant. Sure, there are parts of Fall that you'd have to be comatose not to enjoy. The air smells like pumpkins and football. And hope. And love. Nevertheless, I know what it brings and it makes me resent this lovely season. Like shooting the messenger. How can the season that brings me nutty lattes, new seasons of 30 Rock, brisk walks and pencil skirts have the nerve to affiliate itself with the likes of Winter?

How can it be time to move away from Summer already? It doesn't feel like it. I haven't seen the first leaf fall. It is officially Fall (as of last week) and I've not seen the first sign... until today. Today barely crept into the 70's- a welcome reprieve for all. We managed to have weather cooler than North Dakota, for goodness sake. Mark that down some where. Today also brought darkness shy of 7pm. Truth be told, my distaste for the Winter months has mostly to do with Daylight Savings. Sunlight just does something for me.

Still, its moments like these, sitting on a cozy couch near an open window, that I cannot help but smile. For me, Fall is always the season of beginning. Its the time each year when Katherine, Julie, Heidi and I get together to dream for the coming year (as well as pay respects to the following). It is the start of a new school year (which I cannot convince my 31-year-old self does not apply to me any longer) and I just feel like the reset button gets a nudge when the weather cools down. I think its fair to say that most folks feel it in Spring or at the beginning of the year. Nah- this time of year draws me to contemplation.

So what? Well, for me, in this space, it means a bit of newness as well. As I look back over the last year, I feel like I've showered you with silliness. Which, lets be real, is somewhat who I am. But not all. I think I am going to spend some time telling stories. Don't worry- I assure you this will not become a serious place where we discuss the globalization of health care... but it will likely also not be what I did last night. That's what Facebook is for (when will I become too old for that statement?). I will really write here. I figure, if you love a story as much as I do, this will be a fun little detour.

No comments: