Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Ready. Set. Choose.

I tend to be impulsive.

I know, it is somewhat counter intuitive because of my orderly nature. I mean, I organized my closet for FUN over the weekend. Still, when it comes to making a big decision, I tend to land on my decision rather quickly.

Take, for example, when I picked out my glasses frames a couple of months ago. It took me around 4 minutes to choose the pair of glasses that I wear all day every day. Jordan was baffled and she still asks me how that happened. I don't know. I think I do well without lots of options.

When I write a poem or haiku, I come up with my best stuff on the fly. (Any of you who have actually been subjected to them will know that the term "best stuff" is used loosely.) It just hits me and I go with it.

Is it because I am decisive or do I settle too quickly without considering other options? I choose to believe it is the former. Because, well, that makes me sound better.

It got me thinking about other choices I make quickly.

My sister laughs at me because, while I am still sitting in the styling chair at her salon, I am already dreaming of my next cut. True story. She expects it, to be honest. (DO you want a sneak peek at what will happen this weekend when she comes to town??? I thought so.)

I tend to find birthday gifts for people at the first store, pick a restaurant on the fly, and figure out the route to my destination right away. Still, I wouldn't categorize myself as spontaneous. Do *NOT* call me if you are packing the car for the beach and leave at midnight. I will agonize over whether I can swing it or not. [sidenote: I am STILL in awe of Sarah June when she decided in two minutes to pack an overnight bag and join John, Justin and me for a weekend in Memphis. She became a hero that day. To think...she would have missed out on Raiford's... she's so wise.]

When my planning and impulsive sides blend, something rather strange happens... and just works. I may never be the one leading a group to Cabo at the last second, but you can count on me to pick out your drapes in ten minutes.

You're welcome.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG - you're getting Norah Jones' haircut?! The only short cut i've ever seen that has made me say 'damn i wish i could pull off short hair'? you're going to be too hott to handle. that's all there is to it.

Kristi said...

1-HOT HAIR
2-Raiford's...HAHAHA

Kelley said...

ladeez, THANKS! we'll see how it turns out. kris will probably do even better than i hoped.

um... kristi. CAN i get an amen?? haha!

"memories... light the corner of my mind... mistly watercolored memories... of the way we were...."

HANNA {the contented soul} said...

That's the haircut I've had for about 6 years now (with only slight variations...that I think are major changes but aren't at all). LOVE IT!

Kelley said...

hannah!! i am super excited about it. i only hope mine can live up to yours. ;)

HANNA {the contented soul} said...

It'll look GREAT on you! I've tried with and without bangs, slightly longer, slightly shorter... it's just a great cut all the way around. Very versatile and super easy to style if you have some curl in your hair. No drying necessary!

Kelley said...

YIPPIE!!