Friday, March 28, 2008

Time Flies

I have been avoiding writing this post.

I just wish you'd all gotten to know Kate. Some of you did! Most of you didn't and that makes me sad. Ten years ago, as a puny freshman in college, i met someone who would become one of my four very best friends in this life.

Four years ago on the 26th, Kate Marie Schultz Colon left her earthly shell and upgraded to a heavenly body- not riddled with bone cancer. As each year passes, i find myself less and less able to find traces of her in my world. That being the case is nearly as painful as losing her in the first place.

She was this magical creature full of love, trust, and spunk. and she chewed faster than any person i have ever seen. ha. like machine gun fast. makes me laugh just thinking about it. She married Joel just over a year before losing her battle with that disgusting disease. I know wednesday had to be tough on him in a way that I can't even understand.

Kathy, her mom, and I caught up on the phone and it was wonderful. She's a strong woman who is free to feel the pain of loss in a healthy way. She asked me about all the normal stuff and then, in a delightful way, asked if there was anyone special in my life. something kate would have wanted to know SO BADLY. ha.

Here's the strange thing- after four years, i have about 12 things i am just itching to tell Kate! silly things! gossip, if you must know! ha. she would have eaten it up! she could have been a part time detective with her knack for investigation into people's love lives!

Well, as i sit and just remember her, i find myself smiling more than anything else. She would love that.

Kate, darling... can't wait to see you again! i love you!

3 comments:

Beloved said...

Heidi and I are reading this and saying, SO TRUE at every paragraph. Thank you for putting this into words for us and our heavy hearts. We will always miss her. Always.

Jonathan said...

As I was reading this, I couldn't help but think that you write so much like your dad! I'm sorry for your temporary loss. Thank goodness for our hope.

Deborah Barnett said...

Kelly dear... you are a beautiful writer. You are just a beautiful person. Thanks for sharing these thoughts - they make me want to know Kate... be sure to introduce us on the other side, will you?