Monday, May 3, 2010

The (New) Situation 2010

If you don't live in Nashville, you may be surprised to learn that we've been under water for the last two days. Today, things are airing out and the water is going to start to recede by the end of the day today. Our beloved Cumberland river is swollen beyond its limits and hitting a historic high of 51.5 feet. Y'all... its usually 18 feet. The reason folks are calling this the "New Situation 2010" is because the first "Situation 2010" was the incredible snow/blizzard we had at the beginning of the year.

Basically, we got WAY too much rain in way too quick a time span. It has been the things of nightmares.

Yet, still, I do not feel it. Our home is completely dry (we only got an inch or so in the laundry room). People less than a mile away were being rescued from their cars, for pete's sake. There are still approximately 1,500 people without power and this all has me conjuring memories of Hurricane Hugo.

People died in our town and lost their homes and, yet, today the sun is shining and people are going about their regular lives. It is just strange. I want to be involved and will be as soon as it is safe to travel across the river again. Til then, I will just pray for my nears and dears as the water continues to rise until tonight.

In somewhat related news, I'm doing my part to conserve the water supply by not bathing and not doing my laundry. So, maybe don't hug me.

xo

No comments: