Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Life after Laudy

Last night, I had a conversation with Sarah June. It was preceded by a talk with Chelsea, Anna (and Jordy).

And, listen, those McCoy girls get it.

If you have been to visit me in Nashville, you know I live in a great house. Not great in any traditional sense (unless you like mold, lack of insulation, 12 year old carpet and bugs), but great because of the fun that has been had in this house.

Its LAUDERDALE rd., for pete's sake. That means joy, fun, parties, community, peace and just plain love. I have come back to life in this house. Nashville came this close to losing me in the spring of '05. Kristin was leaving for Chicago, I had a job at Vanderbilt that I hated, and I couldn't seem to buy a social life. Enter Leslie (Logan) Hill and her introduction of me to the ladies of Laudy. I was instantly welcomed in and, all of a sudden, had a place I belonged in this fair city.

There have been countless nights of laughter. Days spent hiding inside while we all piled on the blow up mattress to watch "Little Women" or "Anne of Green Gables" (great...I just lost the male readership), and mountains of delicious food prepared in our kitchen. Parties that were so epic they shook the foundation (but, seriously) and more fond memories than we can fit in our spacious attic.

That leads me to my big announcement. I am going to live on my own now.

Here's the thing. I have had approximately 10 roommates/rotations since moving to Nashville (more, if you count my sister, etc) and I have ended STRONG with Chelsea, Anna and Jordan. In fact, we have been quite a force to be reckoned with. Our four personalities and styles make for one helluva combo and we've enjoyed it so much. JACK (as we have been named) has really been a Dream Team and i will miss the dynamic so very much. I simply have to go out on this high note.

Why the move, then?

I'm old, OK? I'm old and I feel the introverted side of my personality longing for a bit of a better job of boundaries. I get just as much energy from being with people as I do from being alone. I DEF cover the time with people... just not as good at the time alone. Then I hit a wall. And hide. So, I have decided I will live alone and start to defend some alone time for myself. Only took me 30 years!

Yesterday (when I got to meet baby Wynn, Whitney and I talked about this epic decision. She and I agreed that two bedrooms would be the only way to go. Her suggestion? A blog room. CAN YOU IMAGINE? It must be. A guest room made for blogging. I think I love it.

So, no, I don't have any details ironed out and I don't know how the transition will be from living with my dears to living with no one, but we. shall. see.

Is there life after Laudy? SJ says yes. and I believe her.

4 comments:

hootenannie said...

Bursting with pride. You are going to LOVE IT! Can't wait to come sleep in your guest room. :)

Dr. Ambo said...

I'm pretty sure you're gonna love it. And a whole room for blogging (or whatever)!

Beloved said...

So proud. It's your time! I love you!!!!

Adrienne Kleeman said...

You are awesome at everything you put your mind to Kelley!! I know its been awhile, but I check in on you through your blog and facebook. I guess I am a Peeking Adrienne.. HAHA!!!