Sunday, August 24, 2008

Happiness and Phil Collins

Sometimes I feel like I'm doing something that suits me so well and I can't help but smile the whole time i am doing it. you know- those, "i don't want to be anywhere else, with anyone else, doing anything else right now" moments.

tonight was one of those moments. i think i just plain love having people over and feeding them. am i part Italian?!

so, i made dinner for a few friends. nothing fancy- just some chicken spaghetti (thanks for the recipe mama!), salad with a feta vinaigrette, garlic toast, with some rice krispie treats and brownies. (seriously, though... WHY do rice krispie treats equal bliss? its too simple a recipe to be so pleasing to my mouth. i always eat too many. Nevertheless, din din was fun and it made me just smile while i was making it all. it was as relaxing (mostly) as coloring all day or something. perhaps it was so because i drank in two full podcasts of my favorite radio show- "This American Life". There was one about going back into your childhood and how, for some, it is a lovely thing and for others- difficult. The favorite of the day, though, was the show dedicated entirely to break-ups. I, having never been through one (not really), can sit back and enjoy such a podcast. those who have survived heartbreaking loss of relationship probably wouldn't be able to enjoy it so much- not without conjuring feelings, i suppose. it was hysterical to listen to the girl contributor tell stories of her interactions with Phil Collins and his song, "Against All Odds". I think the reason i loved it so much is that i (not so secretly) adore ALL cheesy 90's love/break up ballads. i mean... love. Foreigner? yes please! Bonnie Raitt.. Holler! i just love it all. i sing along in Kroger when they play. Click HERE to find the archived show online. its just too good.

Well, in the morning, i am off to organize. actually, for most of the week. Dream Job (as i refer to them) has not gotten in touch with me yet. I've clocked about 6 hours of interview time with them at this point... kinda ready for a verdict. we shall see! in the meantime, i am gearing up for a week o' organizing and the weekend trip to see my sister and dad! woo hoo!!!

nighty night!

3 comments:

kari said...

i so wish i lived in nashville to join in with your dinner parties! however, i have enjoyed your sister's hospitatlity and if your cooking is anything like her's, your friends are lucky! anyway, i was praying for your job today, i asked that you would hear by today, so i expect that by tomorrow morning you have some good news!

Deborah Barnett said...

Now you know why I do it - love hosting my friends and delighting them in culinary adventures!

And, I mean, who doesn't love Phil Collins?

Kelley said...

thanks, kari!! here's hoping you are the equivalent of a spiritual farmers almanac!

deb... what i did is not even in the same category as your deliciousness!!! you're so inventive. speaking of... you back yet?? ;)