Wednesday, December 1, 2010

On exercise.

I do not naturally like to exercise. Obviously, or I would do more of it.

It hasn't always been that way, friends. There have been seasons of fitness here and there. The kind of fitness that you reach by systematically hitting the ole gym every day. The most fit I've ever been has to be one of two times. Its either when I was 15 and spent an entire summer digging holes for a septic tank in Honduras or just a few years ago when I did many a sprint-triathlon here in Nashville. The Honduran digging was not all we did, by the by. We also painted, roofed, cleaned, hiked with water, used machetes to clear land and dug some more. Without a mirror and/or any normalcy, I failed to realize I'd shed 20-something pounds over the course of 2 months. It was like accidental fat camp. It ruled. I came home, from 2 months away, looking like a trim version of myself. Kristin did not love that development. I was all, "oh my gosh- its so weird. I accidentally wear 3 sizes smaller now, isn't that crazy?" and she was all, "why do we have to share a face?". That phase didn't last long... the weight loss or the twin-gression.

Anyhow, the 2 triathlon seasons I participated in were a bit more planned. It was hard but i got this body ready to run, bike and swim my way to a better me. At the time, I rather loved it. All in all, I finished 7 sprint tri's and 1 olympic (which was my favorite.) It feels like a long 3 years ago. Want to know why I quit? I got bored of swimming and it was a swim-based triathlon club. That and that, while it was a great community of athletes, it was a very isolating and individualized sport. Too much time to just hear myself think. Thus... I quit. Still, what good memories!

Exercise has to be heavy on the social in order to get me interested. If I could figure out how to make watching 30 Rock aerobic, I would do it, trust me. In the mean time, I have to do real work outs and inject some friend time in order to keep me coming back. Enter Coco. {You may remember that just three short years ago, Courtney/"coco" convinced me to start this little blog. Happy Anniversary, dearest}. Courtney and I have now clocked 2 full months of pre-dawn work outs together. We also answer to "Team Bedhead" and have been known to occasionally include one Holly Edwards. Lately, we've taken to the humiliation of a sculpt class. Here's a question, should I be sore 5 days later? Just checking.

As I look back at the variety of activities I have taken to, it makes me laugh. I really have branched out, ya know. There was the hip hop dance class, hula hooping/ "hooping", loooooooong walks, a short stint doing a "pole dance" class that was really more like yoga (are you shocked?), yoga, bootcamp, "Body for Life" weight lifting, half marathons training, cycling, swimming, bowling (Emma league) and kickball. Plainly, I like to keep things exciting.

I'm feeling like I'm sort of in the mood for a new athletic goal to reach. I always love a challenge (speaking of...30 more days and I'll officially have gone 2010 without alcohol. Crazy, huh? I'm almost done! Time flies.) The funny thing is how often I have considered taking ball room dancing classes. Selfishly, I want to learn with one guy instead of a new partner every week, so I've never done it. Perhaps that will be it- a regular Bristol Palin ova hee. Nevertheless, I'm taking suggestions, so pass them on if you like.

Happy sweating,
K

ps. my stomach just growled for the first time in probably 3 weeks. All this talk of exercise has be craving popcorn.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Oh the memories....nearly got a tear in my eye thinking of all those trenches we dug. Whew. Miss you dearest!