Wednesday, October 27, 2010

on babies.

I started babysitting at 9.

I fully realize that 9 is a young age for babysitting. I couldn't drive, so it involved walking next door to play with the kids... while their mother was home. It was a pretty big deal. Not because I was such a good baby sitter (side note: can it be called that when you're only 4/5 years older?), but because I made dolla dolla bills, y'all. It was the first time I was able to earn money outside of my allowance. It was way more fun to play with kids and watch movies than clean and do my chores. I would nearly shake with joy when the Outlaws (swear that was their name) would shell out the $15 dollars or whatever it was. I think I started making $.25 an hour at first. No exaggeration. As I got older, I was able to babysit on Friday and Saturday nights for the big bucks. I would probably have done it for free, but being a wage earner was exhilarating.

At some point, I realized babysitting made a lot of sense. I could make the same amount hanging out with kids as I could slinging reubens at a "The Turtle Deli." It became the obvious choice. Where else could I eat chips and play until the kids went to sleep and then watch Saturday Night Live? (confession: I used to fall asleep watching SNL and they would come home to me asleep on the couch with Baywatch blaring.)

Most people stop babysitting in college. I didn't. I haven't.

Its not even that I love kids so much. I just have a general tolerance of most kids and happen to ADORE a few of them. For example, I will jump at an opportunity to hang out with Emma and Martha- Nashville's coolest girls under 4 feet. We go on dates. We are not scared to hit up a movie. Somehow, I get paid to do so. There are no words for how cute they are, so a picture will have to do. This is last Halloween. (Emma was a bee, Martha was an old lady and I was Kelly Kapowski).

Tell me how anyone could resist these two? I love them so.

Now, life has transitioned from being offered the opportunity to watch someone's child(ren) to being surrounded by babies who actually belong to my nears and dears. It still gets me that I'm at the age where my peers are more frequently birthing offspring than getting married. It never stops being exciting.

I won't list the babies that melt my heart because I am sure to leave one off the list, by mistake. So, rest assured, if you are reading this- its your child (or children, Amanda). I am not sure what is sweeter than a baby smiling up at me for no other reason than I have made just enough of a fool of myself. I particularly love the babies that don't give away their affections. You know- the ones that make you work for it.

I got to spend last weekend with my college best girlfriends. There's just no way to describe how sweet that time is every year. I have mentioned it before, but it bears retelling. Each Fall, we gather in a city (either one we live in or we throw a dart at a map... like that time we ended up in San Antonio.) and spend time together. We cover three questions that allow us to assess our past year and dream for the coming one. Its amazing what a fixture in my year it is. This year, er'rybody's baby came along. That's because there were 2 under one year old. It was lovely to get to know Ryland and Olivia and snug up with Kate and Pete. We snuck in some full conversations and stole moments for the rest of them. I got (arguably too much) joy from trying to teach Ryland to clap. If I'm honest, I do love the quiet bliss of lying around like last year in Palm Desert but what I love more is walking through life with these women. Real life. Life with kids, losses, victories, joy and pain. We are sisters.

babies, represent!

I would like to end by saying that the sooner I am an aunt, the better. But don't tell Kristin and Chad.

xo,
k

7 comments:

amanda said...

Oh, girl. The admiration is WAY mutual. They told me so.
xo back atcha.

HANNA {the contented soul} said...

I love it too. I cannot get enough of my nephews and niece. They are just SOOO very precious!! It is weird when our friends start having kids...it's like... are you ALLOWED to do that??! ha!

I was also a young babysitter and at one point I had about 20 "clients"! I used to have my own business name-ready for it?-Snow Sitter Service (Snow is my maiden name). Yep. I had a newsletter that I put out every other month and I would feature one kid's picture on the front and then I would have an interview with them, put interesting little articles in there and a word find or coloring page. I am the biggest dork I know! I had fun doing it though...so no regrets. :)

I actually don't babysit much anymore. I did through college, but after that I haven't done much. I'm just about ready to have my own though! ;-)

Kelley said...

amanda, i am obsessed with L and J. That they love me too is just icing on the cake.

Hanna, that is hysterical! SO something I would have done if I had gotten any knowledge of how. :) You'll be such a fun mom!

HANNA {the contented soul} said...

I may have had business cards as well. Can I also confess that after I put kids to bed, I would go and play with their toys?? Yeppers! I cannot help myself!

Kelley said...

ok, that's a whole new level. haha! I was making a b-line to the ice cream the second they started snoring. :)

HANNA {the contented soul} said...

Well, we're talking LEGOs and such here. ha ha!! I did the icecream thing too...and I maybe cleaned some of the houses too...cause I was bored.

Kelley said...

you are a DREAM babysitter, girl!!