Monday, October 11, 2010

Concerts.

My first concert was to see Carmen live at the King Street Palace in Charleston, SC. I am tempted to say neither exists any more but I must report that I think Carmen still may. If I'm honest, I am jealous of the kids whose first concert was New Kids on the Block or something incredible like Hall and Oates.

Over the years, seeing live shows would become a priority to me. Maybe seeing Skynyrd that time in the parking lot of a Ladson, SC carnival did it. Who knows? Sure am glad Dad decided it was worth packing Kristin and me up to go soak in the glory.

Growing up in Charleston gave me great exposure to international musicians. One of my favorite memories is the time our group of friends all packed in to the old jazz club (Chef and Clef) on Market Street during Piccolo Spoleto event. We must have stood out like a sore thumb with our tank tops and jean shorts. The next younger patron must have been 15 years older than us. Still, we had a BLAST and dreamt of when we'd go there on very perfect dates and drink in the lovely jazz music all night long.

College would bring an onslaught of singer songwriter (read: maybe-shouldn't-sing... maybe-shouldn't write....ers) shows. You know, the coffee shop vibe. We'd make our way to Jammin Java or some place and endure the cute boys on stage. Occasionally, someone incredible would swing through town and we'd clamor for seats to hear Angie Aparo sing his lovely tunes. Those sorts of folks were a rarity.

And then I moved to Nashville.

Really, that's where this story could end. How could I list all the musical heroes I've enjoyed as they made their way through town? It would be sort of impossible to remember. I do recall being a resident of just under a week and determined to not miss a second of the scene  Kristin and I headed over to 3rd and Lindsley to take in a showcase. Little did I know, those sorts of evenings happen *most* days here in the Music City. In fact, I will go as far to say that you will probably have to work harder to avoid good music than to find it here.

In my adulthood, I have experienced a few shows that just plain woke up my senses and left me alive with wonder. The first must be seeing U2 perform in Atlanta in the Fall of 2001. It was the day George Harrison died and we were not only treated to the goodness of the Elevation tour, but also the beauty of George's tunes. It was a once-in-a-lifetime sort of evening.

Next, I would be remiss if I left out any of the Patty Griffin shows I've taken in. I don't miss her when she comes to town. She makes me connect to her music so much that I start thinking I can write too. So, I suppose that makes her an inspiration, huh? She is.

Jamie Cullum. That little Brit is such a showman! He brought so much charisma to the stage that I was exhausted afterwards. He jumps around and sings his heart out. All so well! I also try not to miss seeing him. He goes way beyond a pretty voice. Its an experience to be lost in for a couple of hours.

Sure, I LOVED seeing John Mayer and Tom Petty this year. And this past Friday, I saw the lovely Sara Bareilles at the Ryman. She has such a presence on stage that I got the feeling we could be best friends.

But, y'all.

BRANDI CARLISLE. When it comes to a voice so strong that you think the building can't contain it, this girl takes the cake. I barely spoke the whole time. I was plain old moved by her vocal stylings.

There will, no doubt, be other shows that I am moved by. I love music for that reason. I feel sure I've done this before, but how can I not quote "Almost Famous" when proclaiming my love for the written word and melody? I just love the quote at the end when William asks Russell what he loves about music and his response is, "well, to start with... everything".

well put, Russell. Here's to music and the wonder it stirs up.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

no shout out to our Jonatha Brooke show?

Kelley said...

she falls squarely into the "how could I ever mention them all" category.

Jackie said...

No recording could ever do Brandi Carlile's voice justice. They all just pale in comparison to the power she exudes live. Good call.

Dr. Ambo said...

So consider me another member of the my -first-concert-was-Carmen club.

And Brandi Carlile is fantastic! She opened for the Avett Brothers in Atlanta and rocked it. Even brought out Amy Ray of the indigo girls. Beautiful.

SardineInk said...

my first concert was to the lesser know band - Harvest - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvest_%28band%29

eek! how did i catch a guy like luke - he probably didn't know...

Kelley said...

I promise you we had Harvest on vinyl!!

HANNA {the contented soul} said...

Agreed on all counts. Music is such a beautiful blessing. I don't know what I'd do without it! It moves us in ways that nothing else can!

Chelsea Lesniewski said...

Thanks for the Hall and Oates shout out - if only my 7 year old self could have stayed awake the whole time since we had 10th row seats... too bad I make falling asleep during big events kind of a habit (ehem..hugo), either way Jess and I rocked that tape pretty hard when we got home. haha

speakin.my.language said...

Righteous invasion of truth.