Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Inspiration From a Genius

So, as is usually my Monday habit (but moved to Tuesday as a result of laziness), I listened to my two favorite podcasts.

The first is "This American Life". It was an entire show devoted to people who live alone and, more specifically, some who die alone. While sad, it was also very interesting. TAL always delivers.

Next, I drank in the goodness of "The Moth." Now, you need to know that, in general, if T.A.L. is rated G, this is more PG13. It is just generally not overly-produced... or at all. It is people recorded telling stories live and on stage. This week was a bit of Garrison Keillor's speech at last year's "Mothball" held in NYC each November.

If you know my family at all, you know that both Garrison and his artistic child, "A Prairie Home Companion", are both very significant to the Kirkers. While we "enjoyed" the TV-free years, we listened to radio exclusively. "A Prairie Home Companion" was enjoyed by sitting on the living room floor with popcorn or some sort of dessert. Each week Kristin and I would dance around like little fairies as we enjoyed the twang of the bluegrass we'd hear. Right around the time the commercials came on, we would start to settle down...still laughing so Dad would think we got the subtle jokes, mind you. As soon as the story for the evening unfolded, my snoring would ensue. I rarely made it through an entire 2 hour episode. Even now, I am lucky to make it! ;) Bottom line- its more than entertainment... it is tradition. A delightful one. I can hear the music (or that familiar warm voice) and a smile forces its way to my lips. Heck, I even watched the movie, people.

Naturally, this morning, I was thrilled to hear Garrison's voice come across the airwaves, care of itunes. His words were profound to me this morning. He said the art of storytelling is one of a pursuit of intimacy with people... even strangers. He went on to say that intimacy, when you are young, is nice. When you get older...necessary. (I dare say necessary the whole journey long.) Nevertheless, he said, we pursue storytelling for the sake of attention, on some level. Ultimately intimacy. I cannot agree more. I find myself writing here (and even attempting the challenge of a book) for the sake of being known. While it is a universal fear... it is also a deep need.

Thanks, Garrison. You bring your A-game again.

No comments: