Monday, June 13, 2011

On Inspiration.

I've been writing some poetry lately.

Its not fancy.
It doesn't rhyme.

In fact, I don't have any plans to show any of you. I sort of love that, really. I apologize, because that is like saying, "OH- did I tell you? No... I can't." I get it... lame.

But, Its true and I am proud of and enjoying it.

I have also been reading a lot. Not only because of books like this, this and this... but because I was given some good advice recently. It was downright inspirational. I had a mentor give me insight into my (work) personality as it is *really* similar to hers. She gave me some pointers on how to focus. She recommended, among other things, constant reading. Reading while watching something (non interesting) on the television, even. Basically, multi-tasking in order to streamline my focus. Pretty funny. Even funnier? It works.

I get inspired by challenges. Not a shocker. I am just pleased every time it happens because I never know if daring myself to do things will lose its exhilaration. It hasn't yet and that makes me happy. I've paused the whole "jump out of planes" phase and toned things down. I've been inspired to be grateful lately. I've dared myself to write down what I'm grateful for as the thought occurs to me. There is a brand new moleskine waiting to catch them. Its filling up quickly and so is my awareness of what a blessed girl I am.

I've been inspired by the app Pinterest lately. It is essentially an idea/inspiration board for the iPhone. I haven't figured out how to post anything yet but I SURE love browsing. I am not a big shopper but this app will probably change that. eep!

I have been especially inspired by jazz music of late... jazz and old R&B/soul. I cannot get enough of Otis Redding and my girl Esperanza Spaulding lately. If it is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

I have also been inspired by old photos. Mom and dad are in the process of moving (back to SC!!) and with that comes reminiscing. I love it. I think I would waste an entire day looking at old photos, so its good I'm not there.

So, while nearly a month has passed far too quickly, I have been happy. Its Summertime... what other option is there?

xo.

6 comments:

Trey said...

Two things:

1. I did not know about the Pinterest iPhone app. Just downloaded it.

2. Jazz: Thelonious Monk FTW

Kelley said...

wait a second... I TAUGHT YOU SOMETHING ON THE INTERNET.

*basking*

I am going to check out Thelonious Monk now. I have long heard of him and never given it a test drive.

preesh!

linda said...

i love this kelley. we need to get together and talk about otis, poetry, and remembering blessings. for realz.

Kelley said...

YES. yes yes yes.

Jason E. Cochran said...

Poetry: I'll show you if you show me... Let's tweet, oh...three, titles at each other and then we get to pick which one we want to read... I'll start.

jc
John from jay's account cause I ganked his iPad whilst he watched Dora with Ruby Jane...

Kelley said...

bring it.