Saturday, February 19, 2011

On celebrating.

I'm not one to pass down an invitation to party, y'all. (can you hear Brittney saying that?)

If it is one thing my people and I do in Nashville is celebrate. We celebrate job promotions, birthdays, engagements, holidays, new puppies, more birthdays, weddings, good hair days, babies, Fridays.... life. Our celebrating usually consists of little more than being together and that is the beauty of it. I have had so many fun moments of happy disbelief with these people.

This week brought two opportunities for celebration: Valentine's and a birthday.

Now, you may be wondering if there is a reason why I was celebrating Valentine's and my answer is: because it is awesome. Hallmark can make up a holiday for me any day. A day I get to drop $2.99 at Walgreens on a box of Princess Valentines (that came with pencils) and give them to my co-workers? Sign me up. This year I got actual valentines in the mail. THE MAIL. To my delight, dad sent me three (guess I'm the favorite.) I'm not sure what is more fun.

Oh wait.

YES I do.

Dancing in the kitchen for three hours.

So, let me back up. I was invited to a dinner party to celebrate the most lovely of days. The girls cooked (and by that, I mean Laura and Meghan... I only chopped things.) With great music playing we all moved around the kitchen singing and gearing up for what was an AMAZING meal. (Every boy should want to marry Laura for this salmon.) We feasted on delicious food and libations. We sat around a table and laughed hysterically. We told story after story after story (you know I was in heaven.) It was simply a wonderful evening. Right around the time came for cleaning (coincidence?) the kitchen, it occurred to us that 3 girls and 3 guys cannot be wasting their time cleaning... we had a rug to cut. And that we did.... for so long that my feet still hurt the next morning.


The gents treated us to a dreamy Valentine's celebration that led squarely into Matt's birthday just a few evenings later. Well, in an effort to show off our varied partying skills, that party turned into a bit of a jam. There was a handful of stringed instruments and, much to all of our surprise delight, a handful of Deana Carter covers. Sure, we mixed with with Bonnie Raitt and even a sprinkling of the birthday boy's tunes. That happened on a porch with what felt like a beautiful Spring evening. (Shout out to Punxsatawney Phil, by the way. Thanks for doing us a solid!!) Here's a bit of how it went down before we headed outside where it was dark:

Listen. I'll say it. This week* has done my heart good. 

love.
k


*and my brand new iphone that is single-handedly making (and stealing) my day. AND the gorgeous weather that seems to have taken Nashville by the hem and shaken her out to freshen things up.

1 comment:

Cameron said...

Favorite. Yes, "favorite." And yet, I have plausible deny-ability insofar as that other girl with your face is concerned. Oh, and your maternal unit... the Main Squeeze. Favorite. Sure, "favorite" but only forever.